As professionals in the field of herbicide application, Ideal Tree Services follow a meticulous process to ensure effective weed control. Our practices prioritise safety for both the environment and the people involved.
There are a variety of Herbicides which can be applied, dependant on the requirements. Our most used herbicide is Glyphosate. When used in a responsible manner, following manufacturers guidance, Glyphosate can be a safe form of weed control. Pure glyphosate is low in toxicity, but products usually contain other ingredients that help the glyphosate get into the plants. The other ingredients in the product can make it more toxic. Products containing glyphosate may cause eye or skin irritation and care should be taken not to inhale or ingest the product. Swallowing products with glyphosate can cause harm and even death.
Pets may be at risk if they touch or eat plants that are still wet with spray from products containing glyphosate. Animals exposed to products with glyphosate may drool, vomit, have diarrhoea, lose their appetite, or seem sleepy.
Any herbicides should be applied with due care, by someone with the right level of knowledge in its use.
In this section I will provide an overview of the process, along with safety considerations that clients considering herbicide services might find useful:
- Assessment and Planning:
Before applying any herbicide, a thorough assessment of the area is conducted. This involves identifying the types of weeds present, their growth stages, and the extent of infestation. Based on this assessment, a customised herbicide application plan is developed. This plan includes selecting the appropriate herbicide, determining the right application method, and establishing the optimal timing for application.
- Herbicide Selection:
Choosing the right herbicide is crucial. We would consider factors such as the target weed species, the surrounding vegetation, and the environmental conditions in making our selection. Crucially, selective herbicides specifically target certain types of weeds without harming desirable plants, while non-selective herbicides can affect a broader range of vegetation.
- Application Methods:
Various application methods are used, including:
– Spraying: This is the most common method. Herbicide is mixed with water and sprayed using equipment such as backpack sprayers, hand-held sprayers, or tractor-mounted sprayers.
– Spot Treatment: Herbicide is applied directly to individual weeds or specific areas with high weed density.
– Foam Application: Herbicide is mixed with a foam solution, allowing for targeted application to foliage while minimizing drift.
– Injection: Herbicide is injected directly into the stems of woody plants.
– Granular Application: Solid herbicide granules are spread over the target area.
- Safety Considerations:
Safety is paramount in herbicide application to protect both the applicator and the environment. Here are some crucial safety considerations:
– Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Applicators wear appropriate PPE, including gloves, goggles, protective clothing, and respirators, if necessary, to prevent direct contact with herbicides.
– Weather Conditions: Herbicide application should be conducted on a calm day to minimize drift. Wind speed, temperature, and humidity are monitored to prevent unintended contamination.
– Application Restrictions: Professionals adhere to guidelines regarding the distance from water bodies, neighbouring properties, and sensitive areas to prevent runoff and drift.
– Proper Mixing and Calibration: Accurate herbicide mixing, and calibration of application equipment ensure the correct dosage is applied.
– Cleanup and Disposal: After application, equipment is thoroughly cleaned to prevent cross-contamination. Leftover herbicide is disposed of according to regulations.
Communication with Clients:
For clients considering herbicide services, clear communication is essential. At Ideal Tree Services we are committed to providing outstanding customer service and will take our time to explain the process. We will detail the steps involved in the herbicide application process, from assessment to post-application care. Ensuring you are aware of the safety precautions taken during application to ensure the well-being of people, pets, and the environment.
We will fully explain to our clients what they can expect in terms of weed control effectiveness and potential timeframe for visible results.
To ensure you have all the information you need post-application, we will provide instructions on watering, mowing, and other maintenance practices after herbicide application.
By following this well-defined process and adhering to safety guidelines, we can ensure successful herbicide application while maintaining the health of the environment and the safety of all parties involved.
Please feel free to ask for references or examples of our previous work we have undertaken for our many happy domestic and commercial clients.
Ideal Tree Services are reputable tree surgeons- check out our fantastic reviews for your assurance